How to Mix Up Your Home's Accessories
It’s almost time to welcome a New Year. This likely means you’ll be taking down your holiday decor and your home may feel a bit empty. Now is a great time to mix up your home’s accessories and create a whole new look in your house.
Does this sound familiar — you take down your holiday decor and then put all of your home’s accessories back in the exact same places they were before the holidays? This year I encourage you to mix up your home’s accessories.
A new look is easy to obtain with your current accessories—it just takes thinking outside the box a bit. Here’s how!
Here’s how to mix up your home’s accessories:
- Place all of your favorite accessories on one large table in groups. For example, all books in one area, vases in another and pictures in another. Repeat with all of your treasures.
- Consider pulling items from other rooms to include in this grouping. A favorite mirrored box in your bedroom might look great in your dining room!
- Go through cabinets, closets or storage room to bring out pieces you haven’t used in a while. It might be time to bring a few out of hiding and into your home. (If you have pieces you don’t want to display it might be time to pass them on to others.)
- Select an area to begin decorating and “shop” your table for items. Consider grouping pieces by color or theme to get you started.
- Select an area in your home to decorate — your mantle, entry table or sofa table, for example.
- Start with the largest piece (lamp or tall decorative container) and work around that, building the display in varying degrees of height.
- Mix in textures. A table of glass vases would benefit from a piece of driftwood to add texture to smooth pieces.
- Once one area is set move on to the next. Don’t go back and pull items, try to get the best display you can and move on.
- Live with the new look for a few days and edit as needed. Sometimes taking one piece away makes all the difference!
Think about displaying everyday things in new ways. A favorite necklace that you rarely ware would look great in a lovely dish on an entry table. Frame a treasured note and display that somewhere where you’ll see it every day. The idea is to surround yourself with piece you love—in a new way. The start of a New Year is a great time to mix up your accessories.
Happy New Year!