With summer comes long days, warm nights….and very often, house guests in your guest room! Plan ahead and make sure you are providing your weary travelers with all the comforts of home in your guest room. Here are the essentials to create a welcoming guest room:
- A cozy bed. Lay on the mattress and make sure it’s not hard as a rock. If your budget doesn’t allow for a deluxe mattress consider a mattress topper to make it more comfortable. Invest in bed linens that are simple and layered, so that guests aren’t too hold or too cold. Freshly cleaned sheets, a lightweight blanket and fluffy pillows go a long way toward a good night’s sleep.
- Storage. Nightstands are essential for glasses or medication. Provide a light and a clock and consider some reading material, as well. Consider a pretty tray or dish to hold keys and loose change.
- A folding luggage rack. This is a real luxury to have, especially if your guests are older. Bending over to access a suitcase on the floor can be difficult.
- Closet space. Make sure you have extra hangers and space for guests to hang their garments.
- The wifi access code. I just stayed in a home where the owner had the code printed on pretty paper and framed. Genius!
- A basket of treats. Granola bars, fresh fruit, crackers and bottled water is a nice touch. Many guests feel rude if they rise before the homeowners, but that can leave morning folks sitting in their rooms for a while. These snacks will be appreciated.
- Bathroom essentials. Whether they have their own bathroom, or have to share with your family, creating a basket of goodies is a lovely gesture. Place a small basket with sample size shampoo, conditioner, hand lotion, etc. on the counter. I collect these from hotels when I travel! Clean towels are also key—2 per person is recommended.
Just remember, it doesn’t matter whether your guest room is tiny or palatial. What’s important is that you have taken the time to create a welcoming guest room to ensure that your treasured visitors feel right at home.