My girls love getting the house ready for Christmas. I can’t say I always love their “help,” but they obtain such joy from helping out that I try to find ways they can use their creativity in the holiday preparations.
Here are a few ways I get the kids involved this time of year.
1. Let them help with holiday cookies and baking. I make a Trios/thumbprint cookie and the girls roll out the cookies, make the thumbprint and fill them with their choice of jam. They don’t look perfect, but they are made with love!
2. Keep all of the ornaments they make at school and let them hang them on the tree. They love to relive the story of making the ornament and look for them every year when we open the ornaments.
3. Let them help with sending you holiday cards. This year my girls put the return address sticker and stamp on each card. We only had two upside down stamps!
4. Add a small holiday tree to their room. The girls each have a pink tinsel tree in their rooms. I add small glass ornament balls and themed ornaments to suit their current interests.
5. Find places around the house to place or hang their new holiday craft projects and art. My girls come home with new projects throughout the season and I try to hang or place them around the room so their art can be a part of the decor.
6. If you are serving a holiday meal let them decorate the table with paper table runners. Give them crayons and let them go to town with holiday art. Also let them set the table.
6. Find a tradition you can enjoy as a family, something they look forward to every year. My husband reads “Twas the Night Before Christmas” the girls every Dec. 24th and they look forward to that each year.
In what ways do you get your kids involved in the holiday preparation? Next year I’d like to add an aspect of giving back to our holiday plans. Ideas welcome on ways to involve kids in that aspect of the season!
Happy holidays and happy decorating!